Wednesday 31 August 2011

It's Time to Get Organized!

Labour Day weekend seems to signal the end of summer even though it's officially not over. In our house, summertime is the time to just 'go with the flow'. We barbecue whatever we have for dinner, we stay outside all day and we just enjoy the weather as much as we can. Then September rolls around and all of a sudden I feel a panic to get back into some kind of schedule and to get organized. I will admit that I am a Virgo and should be organized, but in my home life, I am just the opposite. I need help!

As luck would have it, I met the most organized mama ever at our local indoor playground the other day. She was giving me pointers left, right and centre - so much so, I wanted to take her home with me and have her sort out my life. I was so in awe and impressed with how she organizes her home, her day and her family life that I just had to share some of her advice. To some of you this may be common sense, but if you are anything like me you may just learn a thing or two.
Some of her great tips included:
  1. Try to get as much done the night before. For example, lay out next day's clothing for yourself and your kids, cut up fruits and veggies for the next day, make lunches, set the breakfast table, pack your day bag...just to name a few;
  2. Do some simple meal planning, whether it be for the next few days, a week or for the month.  From this, create your grocery list and grocery shop once a week (on a set day if possible);
  3. Once a week, take the time to de-clutter every drawer, toy box and closet in your house.  The less stuff, the less frazzled you might feel;
  4. Put up a calendar in the busiest area of your house (read: kitchen) to keep track of your family's activities and appointments.

I can't tackle all of these tips at once, so my first step is to get as much done the night before.  Problem is it's almost 10 p.m. and I haven't even finished dishes from dinner...

Do you have any tips to share?

1 comment: